[lbo-talk] Occupy Oakland's imminent implosion and the wider effects

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Nov 6 05:24:31 PST 2011

I hadn't read this when I wrote my post. Robert usually, as here, has a sensible perspective on events. It sounds as though one hell of a lot has happened in Oakland, and on balance, it's all to the good. It is stray leaf falling and not the sky which seems to have excited almost everyone.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of wrobert at uci.edu Sent: Saturday, November 05, 2011 9:19 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Occupy Oakland's imminent implosion and the wider effects

I frankly haven't seen any credible evidence that the actions during the day led to anyone getting 'their head cracked open.' Maybe that evidence exists, but I certainly haven't seen it. The big police response was to a very focused building occupation, not the events of the day.

Additionally, there seem to be a lot of claims about the nature of the general strike that bear no resemblance to the general assembly's call, which emphasizes multiplicity and autonomous actions. And as Boots has pointed out, it translated in to a fairly remarkable success.

robert wood