[lbo-talk] Occupy Oakland's imminent implosion and the wider effects

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Nov 6 06:44:32 PST 2011

I'm not astounded by it at all. In fact, there is this really interesting conversation that has emerged during NV training and facilitation training about the pluses and minuses of self-policing. Since NV has been going on a long time, and since the use of tactical violence has always also been part of such struggles, naturally NV training addresses how to handle it.

Years ago, an old timer said to me, in re: an eruption of tactical violence during the fight against radioactive dump;ing, that he's come to see the purpose of such events as a kind of litmus test forcing people in struggle to ask themselves what they meant by "we" and forcing people to consider what they mean by non-violence/violence.

Eric wrote:

I started a longer reply to this thread, especially the OP, but this is the most important point. The hardy and hearty impulse to regulate is astounding.