[lbo-talk] Occupy Oakland's imminent implosion and the wider effects

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Sun Nov 6 13:45:47 PST 2011

I haven't undertaken a lengthly investigation of OO, or O-anything, for that matter. But there's enough scuttlebutt in criticism of the BB to indicate a consensus was lacking in some measure. I could be wrong on the empirics. Whether I'm wrong on the principle is a different matter.

As noted before, there are two issues: 1) Whether democratic procedure was followed or affronted, and totally aside from that, 2) whether any property destruction was a good idea. If they agreed unanimously to burn down a police station, I would have to say that is probably not a good idea (#2).

Or as George Carlin said in reference to 9-11, "not funny."

It should be obvious that the wisdom of an action has nothing to do with the sterling moral character of those undertaking it, the extent of their sacrifice, nor with the admirability of the decision-making process.

And, pro tip from an old fogie, one sort of police agent is the type that insinuates him/herself into a group by being the most diligent, selfless worker and a totally non-disruptive presence. (Another type is someone who is a constant pain in the ass. Still another is the lefter/more militant than thou type who encourages people to commit crimes.) There should be no doubt that a development as important as OWS is attracting such attention from the authorities.

If a listserv is not for kvetching, I don't know what it is for.