[lbo-talk] ISO?

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 13:44:38 PST 2011

> The real question is why so many folks on the left are solely engaged in the navel gazing of epoch's past?

This "new! new! new!" impulse is a real evergreen. Yeah, there's some new stuff, and there's some old stuff. The old have something to learn from the young, and the young from the old. This impulse to wash away "all the collected shit of history" is silly.

Doug

^^^^^ CB: The dialectic of the old and the new. The Wobbly banner at Occupy Wall Street in Detroit says "We never forget". The Wobbly contingent is quite youthful, my favorite group to converse with Joe, John, and comrades. The young OWSers I have met and whose activities I have witnessed are noteworthy to me for having learned from our mistakes or experiments , for garnishing the rational kernel and discarding the husk of our experience in the sixties. For example, at Saturday's Veteran's parade, which was around the Park where Detroit's Occupation is located, the Occupiers' banner was "Thank you for protecting our rights" (!) , instead of some anti-war slogan. These Occupiers are going to advance the American revolution Seven League Boots, as Engels put it.