[lbo-talk] internal threats

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 17:39:09 PST 2011

On 11/8/2011 7:52 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> I think that shag& Eric have provided ample information that it was _not_
> the Black Bloc, in this case, that violated democratic legitimacy, since the
> GA had approved a diversity of tactics. And that is central. (I don't think
> this has always been the case in Black Bloc actions, but that is irrelevant
> here.)

"Diversity of tactics" is a deliberately vague phrase, and it's precisely because of that vagueness that the Oakland GA is now flooded with proposals for adopting more specific guidelines. (Moreover, can anyone seriously argue that diversity of tactics was meant to imply a blanket endorsement of literally any tactic you can think of? - burning down the public library? beating up the police chief's kids? etc.?)

Still, Carrol's right that the central issue is one of democratic legitimacy. And as Carrol also notes, those who use Black Bloc tactics generally reject the notion that they should be bound by democratic legitimacy.

SA