[lbo-talk] internal threats

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 06:19:58 PST 2011

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 2:39 AM, SA <s11131978 at gmail.com> wrote:

"Diversity of tactics" is a deliberately vague phrase, and it's precisely
> because of that vagueness that the Oakland GA is now flooded with proposals
> for adopting more specific guidelines. (Moreover, can anyone seriously
> argue that diversity of tactics was meant to imply a blanket endorsement of
> literally any tactic you can think of? - burning down the public library?
> beating up the police chief's kids? etc.?)

I've never really liked the phrase because of its vagueness, and also because I don't think anything can be a "tactic" unless it's attached to a strategy, a necessary step that formulation skips entirely. But it's universally understood in direct action circles to include breaking a few windows and spraying some graffiti. When a body like the GA debates "a diversity of tactics," that's clearly part of the deliberations.