[lbo-talk] internal threats

Voyou voyou1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 11:47:18 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-11-10 at 10:30 +1100, Mike Beggs wrote:
> Sure, and thanks to Voyou for spelling it out. But I'm confused about
> how Whole Foods 'denying its workers the option' prevents a strike.
> Now I must admit I don't know Oakland's local customs, but down here a
> strike involves a collective refusal to work, and management usually
> does not approve. When we depend on the boss's permission, we call it
> 'annual leave'.

The Oakland General Strike was kind of an odd thing, not necessarily exactly a strike in the usual sense. I assume because of an awareness of the weakness of organized labor and the difficulty a lot of workers would have in actually striking, the General Assembly called for people to participate in whatever way they felt able, including, for example, taking leave on the day. I think the question of how, if at all, you can organize something like a general strike in the absence of strong unions (and with the kind of neoliberal organization of work - a lot of temporary and casual work, for instance - which I think makes traditional union organization particularly difficult) is an interesting one which the Oakland General Strike was trying to come up with some kind of answer to.

--

"When placed in value-relation to the linen, the coat signifies more

than when out of that relation, just as many a man strutting about

in a gorgeous uniform counts for more than when in mufti."

-- Marx, _Capital_ Voyou Desoeuvre http://blog.voyou.org/