[lbo-talk] Penn State

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 14:14:09 PST 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:

I have some familiarity with PA Child Protective Services Law aka
> "mandated reporter law" and based on what I've seen in the press, Mr.
> Paterno did exactly what that law stipulated - he reported his
> suspicion to the authorities.

We're talking about this same case, right?

The grand jury summation describes one scene where Sandusky was caught raping 10-year-old "Victim Number 2" in the Penn State football team shower. The graduate student who witnessed it was "distraught" and "traumatised". Did he go to the police? No, he went directly to Joe Paterno's home. Paterno immediately turned the matter over to Athletic Director Tim Curley, and, for reasons I don't understand, Gary Schultz, the senior vice-president of finance and business. Curley and Schultz conferred and acted. According to the grand jury report, they sat Sandusky down and said that he could no longer use Penn State football facilities while accompanied by Second Mile children. That's it. Pennsylvania state law requires Curley, Schultz and Paterno to have reported the charges to the police. They didn't. [Curley and Schultz are being charged with perjury and obstruction. Paterno is not.]

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2011/11/2011118154325941206.html

Defund the ratfuckers and let them hold bake sales to support their
> operations.

Again from Zirin:

The Nittany Lions football regularly draws 100,000 fans to Happy Valley. They also produce $50m in pure profit for the university every year, and has been listed as the most valuable team in the Big 10 conference. Another economic report held that every Penn State game pumps $59m into the local economy: from hotels to kids selling homemade cookies by the side of the road.