[lbo-talk] non-violence is the most powerful weapon we have

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Nov 11 06:53:31 PST 2011

On Nov 11, 2011, at 8:29 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Historically, non-violence leads to fairly heavy casualties (including
> deaths) among the protesters. You have to keep at it with huge numbers until
> the cops/army get sick to their stomach at killing people or beating them up.

Aren't you offering advice from afar, which is something you usually mount the pulpit to denounce?

And what is the relevance of this comment? No one, as far as I can tell, is advocating nonviolence always. This discussion got started over whether it made any sense to break windows at WHole Foods. I don't think it does make any sense. Do you, apart from offering rich apercus like this?

Doug