[lbo-talk] non-violence is the most powerful weapon we have

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Nov 11 05:29:19 PST 2011

Historically, non-violence leads to fairly heavy casualties (including deaths) among the protesters. You have to keep at it with huge numbers until the cops/army get sick to their stomach at killing people or beating them up.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Carrol Cox Sent: Friday, November 11, 2011 7:07 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] non-violence is the most powerful weapon we have

shag carpet bomb: "When people advocate non-violence as a tactic - because people look a lot more innocent when they're non-violent. . ." -

-------

See, "non-violence as a tactic" hardly makes even grammatical sense, and it hs no substance whatever. I'm being non-violent as I sit at this keyboard: is that a tactic?

It only makes sense if you write, "Non-violent CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE." Non-violence becomes a TACTIC and not a mere nothingness, only when the cop gives you an order and you refuse to obey: lie down instead of turning around, etc.

This whole debate is senseless until all concerned understand that "non-violence as a tactic" means "civil-disobedience" as a tactic. Otherwise it is incredibly stupid to say, " non-violence is the most powerful weapon we have," since by itself it is no tactic at all, weak or powerful.

Carrol