[lbo-talk] Grand Juries

Ferenc Molnar ferenc_molnar at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 11 09:37:03 PST 2011

It's really important to find out what a Grand Jury is and how it operates. I've been to one teach-in on Grand Juries and I was shocked at how coercive and, in my opinion, extra-judicial it is in its present form. Grand Juries have gone after a lot of activists in the past ten years including Palestine solidarity activists:

"A grand jury is a panel of jurors who hear evidence from a prosecutor and decide whether or not to charge someone with a crime. The grand jury can subpoena pretty much anyone they want and ask about anything, and people can be jailed for contempt if they do not answer questions. The jurors are hand-picked by prosecutors with no screen for bias. All evidence is presented by a prosecutor in a cloak of secrecy. The prosecutor has no responsibility to present evidence that favors those being investigated. Grand jury witnesses have no right to have a lawyer in the room to object to how the prosecutor is conducting the proceedings."

http://www.stopfbi.net/about/statement-on-the-grand-juries

fm