[lbo-talk] OCCUPY WALL STREET AND THE HARD TASKS AHEAD

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Sun Nov 13 20:27:03 PST 2011

Each of these three economic actions has its own limits, and the limits of each points to the fact that it is political action that will ultimately make economic transformation a possibility. While OWS has focused its attention on Wall Street, as economics is clearly the reason for the world’s current state of crisis, it also has to be recognized that the solution to this impasse will be a political solution.

OWS has also been cautious about appealing to the political establishment to address specific demands because progressives have learned some hard lessons about the ways in which social movements can be co-opted, and the radical nature of their demands sometimes diluted beyond recognition by politicians and the established political parties.

What we should not lose sight of in resisting this co-optation is that in the end real changes can only be achieved by this movement if it makes a conscious attempt to affect the political process in some way. Christopher Carrico

I agree, but it is still early to worry about that. I think we could start with issues that can be stopped, rather than created, like end the wars now. Focus on one major issue that the US could stop doing and save money and war is number one on my list.

This would coincide with the presence of anti-war vets in various OWS movements and a lot of anti-war sentiment that I am pretty sure is out there.

CG