[lbo-talk] Corey Robin on AJE on Bluestocking panel

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 08:12:51 PST 2011

Doug wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2011, at 8:41 AM, c b wrote:
>
>> This is , in a way, the theoretical reason that the shift to Wall
>> Street from Washington as a symbolic demonstration location is
>> revolutionary in the protest form for Americans.
>
> Man, you hit the nail on the head there, Charles. Yes.

Understanding where the problem lies is, of course, important. The solution though is not the *economic* struggle, but the *political* struggle. To closely paraphrase Lenin: the political struggle is the economic struggle, but concentrated. We have to build a well-organized political power to usher the economic changes that have to be put in place. That passes through taking over the government, rehabbing it or replacing it altogether (if there's nothing in it we can use as recycled material), because we are going to need that kind of organized force to dislodge vested interests entrenched in the economy and we need the process to shape ourselves up. I say this because some people (not you, guys) make it seem as if all it is needed is some financial or economic scheme (gold standard is something I hear a lot) that, somehow, can be introduced (while eschewing potentially bureacratic political power) to straighten things out. I think you recognize what I'm referring to. And, of course, I am not talking about immediate goals -- I'm discussing propaganda here, because it's in these conditions that propaganda goes a long way.