[lbo-talk] Corey Robin on AJE on Bluestocking panel

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 16 21:46:24 PST 2011

At 02:07 PM 11/16/2011, Doug Henwood wrote:

>The early wave of occupiers that I interviewed were hardly
>anarchists of developed ideology. They were unemployed 20-somethings
>with no political past who were just pissed off and wanted to do
>something. Sure anarchists were important, but they're claiming
>ownership of a much more diverse phenom.

That characterizes a lot of Oakland too. What happened in Oakland was a great mix of old and new. Workers at the port agreed to the general strike early on. There's regional differences with this stuff. As far as I know, Eric is in Austin, where anarchists might loom larger since Austin is a wonderful oasis in the middle of a very large and very reactionary state. That's not necessarily the case in New York or Oakland.