[lbo-talk] Occupy as Ritual Suicide Cult

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 06:38:27 PST 2011

SA wrote:

> I've been watching the livestreams compulsively. One of the nice
> things I've noticed is that there seems to be less and less of that
> "you're one of us!" silliness.

A friend of mine once told me a story about Clodomiro Almeyda, one of Allende's ministers, who was dragged to a Pinochet dungeon upon his clandestine return to Chile in 1987.  He wasn't a young man any more. But, in the morning, when the guards counted and inspected the prisoners. Almeyda told his comrades how to behave: "Follow their directions matter of fact, but do not acknowledge them.  Stand erect and look straight through as if they didn't exist.  In the zoo, the monkeys seek eye contact with the humans in the hope they will toss them a peanut.  It's pathetic.  The lion ignores them.  We should behave like lions."  I believe in fighting to win rather than just fighting to fight.  But for the sake of those who come after us, sometimes we have to fight for its own sake, because that's what's better for the next gen to carry on the fight -- it's fighting to win but inter-generationally.  We are all going to die, one way or another.  But it's so much better to go out like a lion.