[lbo-talk] A Note on the Middle 75%

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Nov 18 19:00:31 PST 2011

Michael Smith

Perhaps I read you wrong, but you seemed to think otherwise. I would like to think otherwise too. So I'd like to hear more. This isn't some despicable devious Socratic game on my part; it's quite sincere. =====

Have you seen my response to Eric's post? I expand some there, and questions based on that might be more useful. See also my reference to Andre Gorz there. Actually, I'm surprised at the response on this. People may vote for what they feel is their interest rather than on 'larger' issues, but they do not take to the streets on that basis. They take to the streets on a moral basis (leaving aside for now what "moral" means.) They move on the basis of indignation, disgust, anger at injustice. I suspect that part of the response on this list stems from their never having thought much about the prison system, its ramifications throughout the whole of U.S. society. Almost all our issues now are unpopular. That is no argument.

Also think about the implications of a fine point you made recently, the contrast between policy and politics (by which I assume you meant mass action politics). Very few people on this list grasp that distinction.

The remains of the movements of the '60s were exhilarated by the Attica Rebellion. The savagery of the repression there was an index to the fear white-black cooperation (even among 'thugs') strikes into the hearts of our rulers. And do read Angela Davis. (I haven't read a great deal of her work -- partly because of my immediate total agreement with what she had to say on prisons.) Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to read also a great work of American literature, the Prison Writings of George Jackson.

Carrol

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com