[lbo-talk] A Note on the Middle 75%

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Fri Nov 18 18:08:58 PST 2011

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 19:55:31 -0600 "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> The prison system has the same corrupting influence on U.S. life that the
> Vietnam War and Jim Crow had. You simply cannot seriously oppose capitalism
> without calling for the elimination of U.S. prisons.

Well said. But the general list response to your original observation, it seemed, turned on the conventional-wisdom notion that it would be a deeply *unpopular* demand.

Perhaps I read you wrong, but you seemed to think otherwise. I would like to think otherwise too. So I'd like to hear more. This isn't some despicable devious Socratic game on my part; it's quite sincere.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com

Any proposition that seems self-evident is almost certainly false.