[lbo-talk] POC opposition to Occupy

Tayssir John Gabbour tjg at pentaside.org
Sun Nov 20 03:52:39 PST 2011

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 7:15 PM, Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote:
> "shag carpet bomb" <shag at cleandraws.com> quoted:
>> "OWS is not against the system, OWS is the system because WHITENESS
>> and IMPERIALISM are at the heart of the problem.
>
> Shag, I'm glad you're reading this stuff so I don't have to. What
> a sad sick muddle. The grievance as property -- so very American.

Not that I want to play devil's advocate or anything... but when observing really radical feminists and anti-racists, I can empathize with those who perceive that men (or whites) are the enemy, like a radical econ leftist perceives capitalists as the enemy.

At the rate men attack women, or whites attack POCs, some people will understandably perceive a state of war. And have enormous suspicion regarding movements led by whites/men.

The author came from Cameroon. Well, the baby death rate in Cameroon is 10X that of the US — 6.3% of Cameroon babies die, as opposed to 0.6% US babies. [1] (Maybe a slow death. After all, about 15% don't get to be 5 year olds. [2]) As for how much life they'll get, they'll have nearly 30 less years than we do. (Dying at 50 rather than at 78.) [3]

So when I imagine if Cameroon were the world power, dominating the US in a world of black supremacy, and I see a loved parent or baby die slowly... while blacks extravagantly mourn the death of the sociopath who gave them their iPods...

Anyway, that said, last month we discussed how investing in a wee bit of respect for POCs can go a long way. [4] A lot of conflicts are really fueled by personal issues, like feeling you're disrespected or not listened to. You can see that in the workplace.

All the best,

Tj

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infant_mortality [2] http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/cameroon_2250.html [3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy [4] http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20111003/011900.html