[lbo-talk] A Note on the Middle 75%

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Nov 20 07:37:19 PST 2011

I was listening yesterday. It became clear that strong opposition to demands and refusing to be co-opted is that, locally, very young people, often new to poltics, really don't think there is any more time for the bullshit.

there's no time to dick around pretending that we can legislate our way to a just society. there's no time to dick around giving the democrats just one more shot. there's not time to build a party. it's all or nothing, right now, because by the time they are 35, this world is for shit unless something changes *right now*.

I think that people are trying to see a lot of this as anarchist vs traditional left politics or something but as FC says, there's very little sympathy for Marxism let alone even being, say, Fabians.... except for a few folks (locally). The visceral, deep-seated antipathy to doing anything to stop that constant barage of civil disobedience, taking up public space comes, at least for some, from that place: we don't have time for evolutionary change. You might as well be asking us to sign our death warrants.

shag

<> Fernando Cassia <> <> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 14:25, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote: <> <>> For Marxists there is of course a contradiction here. <> <> I doubt must of the people at Occupy want Marxism. Or even Revolution. <> <> C: Of course not. How is this relevant to the price of eggs in Tokyo. <> Are <> you possessed by the fantasy that a Revolution must be carried out by <> revolutionaries? That's absurd. <> <> FC: Heck, a good dose of Keynesianism, restoring the welfare state (if <> there <> was ever one in the US of A) and ending the rule of Reaganomics would <> be <> enough to improve the quality of life of most people now sitting at <> Occupy*. <> <> C: Pure electoral fantasy. S-D is dead as the "Leninist" Party. You <> can't <> really believe, can you, that an overwhelming proportion of the <> people <> (require for change through legislation) will even listen to someone <> spin <> out Keynesian theory! <> <> Did you even notice what I said the contradiction was, and why it was <> only a <> nominal one for Marxists (on the assumption that Marxists do not see <> Capitalism as evil.) There is no foundation for moral judgment but it <> is <> moral judgment (indignation) that brings masses to the streets. <> <> Carrol <> <> ___________________________________ <> http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk <>