[lbo-talk] Ret. police captain: To be arrested in solidarity with OWS ‘was the proudest moment of my life’

lbo83235 lbo83235 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 07:53:19 PST 2011

---

Retired Philadelphia police captain Ray Lewis, who was arrested last week alongside others in the Occupy movement, calls the ordeal “the proudest moment of my life.”

“I saw all of you sleeping out here,” Lewis recalled to a videographer in New York City’s Zuccotti Park. “The cause, you were for justice. It’s not like you guys were putting up with this so you could get jobs on Wall Street. You were doing this for justice. All over the world, in fact. And that inspired me. I had to come down here an join you.”

“That day, I had no intention of being arrested. None whatsoever. But when I saw a lot of you sitting down and being drug off, I’m saying, they’re losing their freedom for justice, for other people. And that inspired me again to be arrested.”

Lewis added: “I’m going to tell you a very important thing here. I’ve had a lot of proud moments in my life, a lot of proud moments in my career. But when I had those handcuffs on and was being marched over there with the other protesters in solidarity, that was the proudest moment of my life.”

<http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/11/20/ret-police-captain-to-be-arrested-in-solidarity-was-the-proudest-moment-of-my-life/>

---

And one choice excerpt from the second video:

"I've met the most sensitive and intelligent people in one area that I've ever met in my life. And the problem is, sensitive people should be our leaders, they should be making our decisions - not these cruel bastards up there that have no sensitivity."