[lbo-talk] Police Chief praises Occupy Detroit protesters for peaceful demonstrations

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 07:58:01 PST 2011

http://www.freep.com/article/20111122/NEWS01/111122021/Godbee-praises-Occupy-Detroit-protesters-peaceful-demonstrations?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

to by PATRICIA BECK/Detroit Free Press By Niraj Warikoo

Detroit Free Press Staff Writer

Detroit's police chief praised Occupy Detroit for working with the city and being peaceful.

"Many thanks to #OccupyDetroit for working with DPD to truly maintain peace and exercise free speech in a manner we all should be proud of!" Chief Ralph Godbee wrote last night on his Twitter account.

The positive description of the Occupy protesters by Chief Godbee illustrated the overall good relations the Occupy movement had in Detroit with police and the city. In stark contrast to other cities across the U.S. -- which have seen arrests, pepper spraying incidents, and accusations of heavy-handedness -- Detroit Police did not harass or arrest anyone.

Detroit Police did not make a single arrest during the more than five weeks of camping in Grand Circus Park and dozens of protests. During one protest, Occupy members marched in the streets without permission and at another protest had blocked traffic at the foot of the Ambassador Bridge, but no arrests were made.

At a City Council meeting this month, members even praised the Occupy protesters, comparing them to the civil rights movement. Occupy protesters are demonstrating against the growing concentration of wealth in the U.S., where income inequality is at its highest since at least 1967.

Occupy Detroit is now moving to a building in Detroit, where they plan to continue their message. Their permit to camp out in the park officially expired last night.

"We want to use this energy for community organizing and the message instead of for the camp," said Shannon McEvilly of Occupy Detroit. "I'm ready to go. It's cold. ... It was good. It served its purpose."

Contact Niraj Warikoo: nwarikoo at freepress.com or 313-223-4792