[lbo-talk] Questions from before the Global Minotaur...

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Nov 22 09:42:32 PST 2011

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Jordan Hayes Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:23 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Questions from before the Global Minotaur...

Wojtek writes, of Andy Warhol:

> I am not an American, so I wonder what I am missing here.
> Can someone provide any evidence of the merits of his art?

Art has to have merit now?

If you don't think Warhol was an artist who spoke favorably to your sense of the aesthetic, that's one thing.

But: you deny he was an artist, and that what he did was art?

/jordan

Jordan's point is important. Unless there is such a thing as bad, REALLY BAD, art, the category of art is emptied of significance. "That's not art," intended as a judgment of quality, is senseless. If Eddie Guest is not a poet, then no one is.

Carrol