[lbo-talk] the soc mov'ts class outline

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 10:20:56 PST 2011

[WS:] I think it would be useful to start with the definition of what is social movements and how it is different from other forms of social action e.g. participation in organized forms of activity (NGOs, political parties etc.) or networking. The literature on social movement organizations may be helpful e.g. Mayer N. Zald, John D. McCarthy, Social Movements in an Organizational Society: Collected Essays, Transaction Publishers, 1997.

I would also try to introduce some classification based on the form rather than the content of the movement. One way of doing it is to distinguish between two dimensions: origins of the movement (from below aka 'grassroots' and from above aka 'astroturf') and its relationship to the existing power structure and dominant socio-political institutions (challenging vs. supportive). This would give you a 4-fold classification based on formal dimensions

Grassroots -challenge Grassroots - supportive Astroturf - challenge Astroturf - supportive

which can provide a useful framework for discussing all the social movements that you included in your syllabus. People tend to love 2x2 tables, they are very useful conceptual mapping devices (provided you treat them as approximations and heuristic devices rather than rigid categories.) The added value is that this can help you avoid a perception of ideological bias while discussing political issues - accusations of bias are a favored tactic of right wing ideologues and can sabotage your instruction.

These are my 2 cents.

Wojtek