[lbo-talk] Testing one two three

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 23 11:45:14 PST 2011

And shag has just shown that he is completely wrong.

And boycotting testing, even if collectively organized, would remain for each individual student a solitary individualist act, threatening his/her future while not affecting anything in the world. You are seeing the "first step" in UCDavis & elsewhere: something people can do in a group, visible, physical.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of 123hop at comcast.net Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2011 1:16 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Testing one two three

Yes, you're completely right. That's why the first step of occupying the schools is to boycott the tests.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/23/education/more-students-charged-in-long-is land-sat-cheating-case.html?_r=1&ref=education

[WS:] I hear that this is a wide spread phenomenon. Everyone does it: administrators, teachers, and students cum their parents.

I see is as an inevitable product of standardized testing, which is a blatant example of Taylorisation of education. It takes away control of educational process from skilled labor (teachers) and farms it out to semi-skilled workers directly supervised by business managers. While this model can produce test scores more "efficiently" than teachers do, it also creates incentives for cheating by teachers and administrators.