[lbo-talk] Testing one two three

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 18:07:17 PST 2011

shag: " Nathan shows that cheating in college has been an accepted norm since the early 20th century when those who went to college were mostly elite"

[WS:] Perhaps I did not express myself clearly. The point is not that cheating on tests is accepted among students. That goes without saying, not just for the US. The point is that cheating is also accepted by teachers and school administrators - which does not go without saying. It actually speaks volumes how fucked up the testing system is. The main reason why it is fucked up is that its main objective is to test and control teachers.

Carrol: "And boycotting testing, even if collectively organized, would remain for each individual student a solitary individualist act,"

[WS:] Bollocks!

Besides, it was Joanna who proposed a boycott and it is my understanding that she speaks from experience. I proposed a different approach, passing local ordinances that would gut standardized testing under the banner of offering more choices of testing instruments - which should appeal to most people. I am a social democrat, you know, I believe in using state institutions to a "voluntaristic" approach.

Wojtek