[lbo-talk] Katha Pollitt on college football

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 11:04:41 PST 2011

I think the point, on the one hand, is that countenancing rape and other assaults is far more widespread than college sports and, on the other hand - though not noted here, is that a good number of Division I sports programs can be shown to have actively sought to prevent and prosecute assault. As Doug said, DI sports, especially, with DII and DIII sports to far far lesser extents, have deep problems but if that's the measure of abolishment then it quickly becomes necessary to call for the end of modern society (which we all call for) but can be executed like that. How've the arts done with this stuff, how has higher ed in general, the press, religion, etc. Last, there's a huge silence w/r/t the difference between revenue and non-revenue sports in DI places... it's just painting with far too broad a brush and, as a result, making a weaker argument than it might otherwise make. Alan