[lbo-talk] Katha Pollitt on college football

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Nov 24 11:55:51 PST 2011

In _all_ divisions sports programs cost the University money: they are NOT money-making for the college but for the TV & advertising businesses. Even if you limit yourself to the biggest schools and only the high paying sports (football, basketball, in some schools hockey) the sport STILL doesn't break even. The ones that claim to be making money (e.g. Michigan) cover up the fact that if you subtract the student athletic fees that students pay that profit simply disappears. Students who never go to a game at Michigan are paying through their noses for the 'privilege' of buying season tickets at a reduced price.

Even if you only want reforms, even if you only want petty reforms, in university sports, the only way to get those reforms would be through a mass attack on the existence of university sports. The only reforms ever achieved were achieved in football a century ago (better helmets, elimination of flying wedges, a few other life-saving changes) by a campaign (headed I think by Teddy R himself) to eliminate football.

It really is essential to understand that you never get what you demand; in respect to really vicious and really deeply embedded practices, there will be no reforms until the institution involved is threatened with a campaign to abolish it. That was the recognition (the strictly pragmatic and practical recognition) behind the slogan, "Be practical; demand the impossible." Only by demanding the impossible do mass actions get any results at all. "Bring the troops home" was an impossible demand, but it did probably prevent a nuclear war with China, as well as 'moderate' the atrocities by making them visible. It will take what the rulers will regard as a serious threat of domestic chaos to get u.s. troops out of Afghanistan, Iraq, etc. And only movements seriously demanding the impossible will raise the believable threat of such chaos.

"Abolish College Sports" is the minimal demand that _might_ bring abut some moderate reform.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Alan Rudy Sent: Thursday, November 24, 2011 1:05 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Katha Pollitt on college football

I think the point, on the one hand, is that countenancing rape and other assaults is far more widespread than college sports and, on the other hand - though not noted here, is that a good number of Division I sports programs can be shown to have actively sought to prevent and prosecute assault. As Doug said, DI sports, especially, with DII and DIII sports to far far lesser extents, have deep problems but if that's the measure of abolishment then it quickly becomes necessary to call for the end of modern society (which we all call for) but can be executed like that. How've the arts done with this stuff, how has higher ed in general, the press, religion, etc. Last, there's a huge silence w/r/t the difference between revenue and non-revenue sports in DI places... it's just painting with far too broad a brush and, as a result, making a weaker argument than it might otherwise make. Alan