[lbo-talk] Katha Pollitt on college football

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 12:35:01 PST 2011

Dennis: "It's worse than a losing proposition, it completely misses the point."

[WS:] I am afraid it is you who missed the point here. Pollitt is not against sports per se, she is arguing that college sports is the breeding ground for patriarchy, and as such it deserves a boot. This is what she is actually saying: "Should college students play sports? Sure, for fun. Not to make money for their schools, massage the egos of donors and alumni, raise up false idols like Joe Paterno—and deprive themselves of a real education in the process."

Wojtek