[lbo-talk] The new Sweden

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 17:16:29 PST 2011

Look, there is a world wide network of fascists, right wingers and assorted neoliberal vermin that salivate at the very thought of dismantling the welfare state - including Sweden and Norway. It is truly laughable to see those swine shedding crocodile tears over the alleged treatment of immigrant minorities. It seems to me however, that their vitriol aside, they cannot do much to change welfare state in the Nordic countries as far as macro economic indicators are concerned. Government social spending still accounts for 30 or so percent of the GDP - the highest level in the world. I do not see that this will change any time soon, despite the fact that a conservative government has been in power in Sweden for the last couple of years. It is amazing how resilient the welfare state in those countries is despite the neoliberal onslaught across the EU and the Americas.

Wojtek