[lbo-talk] California rail project

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Mon Nov 28 12:58:55 PST 2011

Wojtek writes:

> Jordan: "HSR will never beat flying (except for a very few, special
> situations, none of which are at work in the CA/HSR scenario), and
> really shouldn't try."
>
> [WS:] It depends how you look at this.

No, it doesn't. Just because you -- and others like you -- might favor a slower time on a train doesn't mean that the purpose and role of HSR is in alignment with your point of view.

There will be ancillary benefits, but the point is that it is not designed to replace short-haul flying in CA and it won't. Like I said, there are places where it can/does replace flying, but California will not be one of them. Paris-Lyon is all but gone now from the flight timetables; but is the exception rather than the rule. And it certainly won't happen in California.

I would agree with you if you said "It depends on how you define all the important words in your statement; if I can redefine them to fit my narrow point of view, then you are wrong."

> To illustrate, bus trip from DC to NYC takes about 5 hours and
> costs $35 round trip, and it is very popular despite the fact
> that both Amtrak and airlines offer faster but also more expensive
> alternatives.

The bus has a less than 10% market share of that market; airlines dominate with about 55%.

Your factoid is intersting, but not at all germane.

/jordan