[lbo-talk] Fwd: Final meeting: Child porn and snuff films

Nicholas Roberts nicholas at themediasociety.org
Tue Nov 29 21:28:29 PST 2011

John Yoo University

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: <studentsforliberty at lists.berkeley.edu> Date: Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 5:59 PM Subject: Final meeting: Child porn and snuff films To: studentsforliberty at lists.berkeley.edu

For our last meeting of the semester, Students for Liberty will be taking on what may be our most controversial topic yet:"The Limits of Free Speech: Child porn and Snuff Films."

Almost everyone claims they’re in favor of “freedom of expression,” but is that really true? Indeed, there are several areas of speech that most citizens believe that the government has the responsibility to censor. Two of these tricky issues are snuff films and child pornography. By their very nature, the two require illegal activity to be produced. However, our government does not merely ban the production of such expression but the distribution as well. Should possession of snuff films and child pornography be illegal even if the possessor is non-violent? Or, does society have a collective interest in banning such expression? Come to our last general meeting of the semester to explore thoroughly explore these sensitive issues.

As usual, the meeting will take place at 7:00 PM in 56 Barrows Hall.

Will