[lbo-talk] The Occupation lives

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 30 15:00:27 PST 2011

Max Sawicky

April showers will bring May flowers.

Forces underlying the Occupys are getting worse, not better. Methinks it's just the end of the beginning.

------

The beginning was Wisconsin, which is still bubbling on in various ways. My concern about the Occupations has been primarily the question of an "exit strategy'; it is not the sort of action that one wants to go on forever. People have other concerns. Police action solves that problem with no loss since, as you say, it is merely a pause.

A comment re my "Boots Riley" post: A couple weeks ago someone on the list questioned my claim that the Black Bloc (or equivalent) would always be with us. Riley's analysis of its ideological roots is the answer: that source of ultra-leftism (which can take many shapes, not just "violence,") won't go away as long as capitalism lasts.

Carrol