[lbo-talk] The Occupation lives

Dennis Redmond metalslorg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 16:24:47 PST 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Max Sawicky <sawicky at verizon.net> wrote:

> April showers will bring May flowers.
>
> Forces underlying the Occupys are getting worse, not better.
> Methinks it's just the end of the beginning.

It's the end of the prologue. I see it in my students (second and third year, mostly). In 15 years of teaching, I've never seen them this riled up. It's not like Seattle, which was a fairly minor surge, involving small numbers of active students, or the sugar high of 2008, where there was protest but no transformative vision. This time, it's deep, broad, and pervasive.

I see echoes of this everywhere in the videogame culture. Here's ordinary videogamer and fan, Darksydephil, who mostly does videogame reviews and walkthroughs, delivering a political appeal about a horrible Congressional bill which would've criminalized file-sharing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAtSfNh9B0c

(The bill got shot down, incidentally.) Ordinary Americans are being politicized, in ways noone could imagine ten or even five years ago.

-- DRR