[lbo-talk] The Occupy Wall St library

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 05:36:39 PDT 2011

Ravi: " am thinking when I head over to the Occupy Wall St park this weekend, I will take with me a few printouts of our refined host's Wall Street (after suitable donation) to add to their library (http://l.ravi.be/r0Xzj9). Seems appropriate, no?"

[WS:] With all due respect, bringing a few more people with you would be far more appropriate.

This reminds me of a cartoon in The Nation a few years ago showing the liberal and conservative ways of organizing - the liberals were going on various fora to make statements, the conservatives were going to various organizations to bring in supporters.

PS. I also thought about a critique that the movement lacks strategy.

It occurred to me that this can be either a weakness or a strength. It is a weakness when a movement reaches "maturity" i.e. gains a critical mass enabling it it act politically. But it could be a strength if the movement is in its nascent phase. The lack of clearly defined strategy in that phase turn the nascent movement into a Rorschach blot into which different people project their own wishes and aspirations and thus are more likely to join in. A more "defined" movement may not have such a broad appeal.

In any event, the strategy of a social movement is an interactive process that emerges from the movement's praxis so to speak i.e. the concrete way movement participants interact with one another and with non-participants. So perhpas it is too early to expect a well formulated strategy at this moment.

Wojtek