[lbo-talk] social movements since the 60s...

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 06:05:33 PDT 2011

Dear All: I am teaching the "Social Movements since the 60s" class this Spring - not my course or my title but interesting and probably fun, nevertheless - and I am looking for suggestions w/r/t readings and media. Some initial thoughts: 1. Clearly there's far far too much that's occurred to even begin to claim to cover at all comprehensively. 2. I categorically do not want this to be a sociology of social movements class - I want it to be about movements not resource mobilization, framing, etc. I want to excite and provoke students NOT put them to sleep. 3. I clearly have to set a baseline with an overview of Progressive, Old Left, New Left efforts before, say, 1968. 4. I am somewhere between interested in and committed to showing that the movements "before" the 60s didn't disappear and are in fact intertwined with the ones "since". Again, not my class, not my title/formulation. 5. I have to cover the New Right and, at first blush, want to present it as a strategic melding of romantic right wing cultural populism and hard-nosed right wing neoliberal political economy... not that my students will know what these things are ahead of time. 6. I also have to cover ongoing struggles for national liberation, indigenous resistance and transnational movements. Any and all suggestions - sent to me here or privately - would be appreciated and I will certainly share what I get and finally decide on. I first sent this out to the list associated with Critical Sociology, but got very little back. Yours, Alan