[lbo-talk] flush *that* social movement thesis?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Oct 3 12:31:15 PDT 2011

I'm not easily sickened, but I think I can explain shag's point.Your examples are o.k., but it's a matter of the old saw, a swallow does not a summer make.

Earlier this year Illinois adopted a piece of legislation that made strikes by Chicago teachers in effect illegal. It had been pushed hard by the big honcho at State Farm, who even held special meetings of employees to push it. The legislature passed it unanimously -- and both the big state unions ALSO SUPPORTED IT. Why? They wanted to save their "place at the table." The unions, like the DP, tend to go along. There are e eptions of whole locals; there are also many union members who don't go along. But on the whole unions have been radical herre and in Europe, only when they are fighting or recognition, with both state and company opposing. No absolute "law" here, but there's a rough tendency.

In fact there is no absolute law, no really dependable 'universal' principle in regard to ANY ASPECT of social or revolutionary movements. That's why they can't be theorized in advance, and why "disciplined parties ALWAYS turn either sectarian or opportunist.

Carrol