[lbo-talk] David Graeber interview on OWS

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Oct 3 12:37:58 PDT 2011

not so sure about that. last year, i was reading the introduction to a book on marx's readings that I had. I'd never read the intro. in it, i learned that Marx lived among some worker's collective and it was the joy he found there - apparently, he wrote movingly of how much he loved daily life there -- and the examples of what life might be like (pre-figured) that contributed to his thinking and theories.

None of us know much about this group, lost to history except for those schooled in arcane histories of that era. But it ended up mattering in ways that have been felt for centuries... That workers collective failed. Marx's magazine failed: they printed one issue and then folded.

as i wrote in that South Atlantic Quarterly piece: Marx failed. We should too.