[lbo-talk] "so nice"

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Oct 5 05:39:37 PDT 2011

show up with Ivan!

for that reason, but many more: Can the bull horn business until the second time you do it.

This time, the point is to actually engage with people, not the time to push the envelope and put the focus on an arrest/confrontation when it should be on your words. You need to contact dingy there, Olberman, and get on Current TV. Or someone needs to start a contingent of lboers to do it. I would but i'm completely buried with work which is slow because I cracked my tailbone in an accident Saturday. I'm working from home...

anyway, don't run around engaging in stunts right now. you'll just get arrested and what's the point of that? you want to get heard or not?

aside from which, although it's painfully agonizing and slow, the people's mic *is* how you connect with people. the deal here is kind of beautiful, if you think about it: it physically engages people in hearing you. they have to repeat your words. they have to freakin' listen. whatever you think about those theories of different kinds of learners - tactile, auditory, etc., - i think there is some merit to this for everyone. Call and response with the people's mic is a ritual and you need riturals to build solidarity. why just give them words when you can build a connection that will bring the words home?

On solidarity. you have to work, together, to communicate in a way that everyone is fully cognizant of. you become aware of the human act of cooperation, like hauling buckets on a water line. You become grateful to each other - to them, and they you - for each doing your part. This builds what Larry Hirschhorn called "warmth" (eros) in his Freudian analysis of organizational behavior.

so no, don't listen to ppl advocating pushing the envelope. you and everyone else from lbo at the teach in need to engage 100%. save the stunt for later because it's going to be ongoing teach ins. this isn't just a a one off teach in. you're going to approach them to ask for several teach ins. this tells them that you believe in them, that they're going long distance - and so are you.

also, get on olberman's show - or at least let him know you're doing the teach in, inspired by his show. appeal to him on that level.... point to Taryn's blog post inviting intellectuals to participate. Explain that you were inspired to do it all coz of him and Taryn.