[lbo-talk] Jobs

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed Oct 5 17:57:25 PDT 2011

On Oct 5, 2011, at 8:01 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Oct 5, 2011, at 7:56 PM, // ravi wrote:
>
>> Was just going to post this - don’t know why, but it makes me sad. And that’s not just because my AAPL is going to take a beating tomorrow when the markets open.
>
> Wasn't his death priced in when he resigned? It was clear that he was on the way to the bus, to steal a phrase from Wallace Stevens.

Yes, but I have found the memory of the market to be pretty short. The stock is only down $1.03 in after hours, so perhaps it will survive.

> It makes me sad too. Like these damn things. Like I said on his resignation, he was like the last remaining innovator in the U.S. economy. Now it's just charmless exploitation amidst long-term suckitude.

Yes. But I have a problem with the word innovation/innovator (though my peeve is with how it is used within the tech industry and by management types, not the more direct/straightforward way you mean it). Here’s what I wrote a while ago: http://l.ravi.be/q42Vri (nothing particularly insightful; just timely).

The thing I appreciated about Apple products under Jobs was the honesty.

—ravi