[lbo-talk] OWS panel discussion: what would *you* want to hear discussed?

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 06:13:30 PDT 2011

[WS:] If I were to "moderate" or otherwise interact with social movement I would not rely on a laundry list of items supplied by consultants or interest groups. This is what Democrats do ad nauseam.

Instead I would use "sociological intervention" a technique pioneered by the French sociologist Alain Touraine aiming to challenge social movement participants to help them to formulate a movement's program. The idea is similar to what is known as the Socratic method that uses pointed inquiries and arguments to help the respondent arrive at the "right" conclusions.

With that in mind, you know exactly what concerns about the movement have been voiced on this list and what concerns you yourself have about social movements in the US in general. Why not using it as the basis of your "sociological intervention"? It can be far more productive than scripted Q&A session, no?

I would start with a simple question 'Could you tell me what it is all about?" and play by the ear. As they start telling you their version of the events, engage them to elaborate certain points that you thing need elaboration, challenge them on points that in your experience have been challenged, draw conclusions from their statements and ask if this what they mean, etc.

For a description of sociological intervention method see this link http://books.google.com/books?id=Gkg0jpX5JEkC&pg=PA55&lpg=PA55&dq=sociological+intervention+touraine&source=bl&ots=pJygb8b34i&sig=EIod_Bh7DvtOSE-rY_QzsZBvp-c&hl=en&ei=OaWNTr2fB8Xj0QHcnPBZ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CG0Q6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=sociological%20intervention%20touraine&f=false

Wojtek