[lbo-talk] David Graeber interview on OWS

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Oct 6 06:33:08 PDT 2011

Eric, your post (or the text quoted) ends with speculation of whether or not 'it' (OWS) will fizzle or not, and the consequences in either case. It's the second long and thoughtful post (the other on Solidarity) that I've read today. And both posts fail to consider a third 'alternative,' which I rather think is certain: if it PAUSES . . . . and then breaks out again, a month or a year from now, and in some other equally surprising form. What will happen in the "meantime," then is that large numbers of leftists (probably too many) will decide it has "fizzled."

Do you have thoughts on that third possibility?

Incidentally, I think it wrong to regard OWS as the beginning. Wisconsin was the beginning, and leftists are being very wrong to think of Wisconsin as having fizzled. It paused and arose in the present form.

Carrol

P.S. My eyes have gotten much worse and I read with fucking slowness . I haven't read all of the post yet . If you respond, please make sure the first paratraph contins the meat of w hat you have to say. I'll have ZoomText read some longer posts to me later in the day, but I really have trouble getting grasping a complex argument when its read to me.