[lbo-talk] explaining climate denialism

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 07:30:35 PDT 2011

Doug: "There you go: conservative white males don't believe in climate change because they are afraid that Science wants to take their penises away. Now you know."

[WS:] How did you conclude this from the piece that you quote is beyond me. If you disregard the phrase "white male" this is a straightforward argument about conservative reaction, pretty much along the lines argued by Corey Robin whom you seem to like. In short, conservatives keenly sense any potential threat to a hierarchical power relations that they support and try to neutralize this threat before others even see it. The only criticism of the quotation is that it limits it to white males, whereas this applies to conservatives of all skin colors and genders.

Wojtek