[lbo-talk] Jobs

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Oct 6 07:53:18 PDT 2011

On Oct 6, 2011, at 7:47 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 20:56, // ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:
>>
>> Was just going to post this - don’t know why, but it makes me sad.
>
> If I have to pick an innovator to worship, it´s Jay Miner, father of the Amiga.
>
> He gave us affordable computers with Stereo sound, 32000+ color
> display, and multitasking, back at the time when the Hype-in-tosh was
> a dull monochome box just used for desktop publishing.

I neither think Jobs is an innovator (whatever that term means to you) nor do I worship him. I do sort of worship my ex-colleagues and their collaborators who invented [preemptive] multi-tasking, virtual memory, networking [sockets], so on. Back in ~ 1969. Dennis Ritchie. Bill Joy. Running code.

But heck, you think Tim Berners Lee (or Marc Andreessen?!) deserve to be celebrated for the Internet and email, so I am not sure this fork is worth reaping.

—ravi