[lbo-talk] Jobs

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 18:39:03 PDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 11:53, // ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:
> I neither think Jobs is an innovator (whatever that term means to you) nor do I worship him. I do sort of worship my ex-colleagues and their collaborators who invented [preemptive] multi-tasking, virtual memory, networking [sockets], so on. Back in ~ 1969. Dennis Ritchie. Bill Joy. Running code.

Oh yes, them too.

> But heck, you think Tim Berners Lee (or Marc Andreessen?!) deserve to be celebrated for the Internet and email, so I am not sure this fork is worth reaping.

Remember the proprietary Internet Explorer browser had like 90% of the market, if not more, at some point. It was Netscape´s key decision to open source its browser code which sparked the creation of Mozilla.org (with Netscape´s programmers working on it for a number of years) that finally gave us Mozilla first and Firefox later.

And *that* was the point when open source, open standards based browsers started taking market share from IE. (At some point Microsoft wanted its ActiveX to replace Java).

FC