[lbo-talk] Jobs

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Oct 6 18:58:25 PDT 2011

On Oct 6, 2011, at 9:34 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 21:48, <brandelune at gmail.com> wrote:
>> A laptop, for ex, is something that falls and when it falls if it is in plastic, it breaks, if it is in aluminum, it does not. If it weights 2 kilos it falls harder than if it weights 1 kilo. And if components are not tightly integrated, they are likely to break loose. That's what a lot of pundits get wrong about Apple's lineup. Macs are robust machines and are designed to take much less space than anything competitors can match.
>
> So do you mean the advances in thin laptops are because of Apple?
> That´s news to me. I thought it was due to lower power requirements of
> Intel´s ATOM chipsets.

Huh? I am not a chip guy, but I have been told by those who know that the Atom is Intel’s late attempt to catch up with ARM, et al (FreeScale). At any rate, the MacBooks do not use Atom chips do they?

> Or are you implying that Apple designs notebook chipsets now?

Well they bought PA Semiconductor a few years ago, and they have TSMC building their A4/A5 chips out in Taiwan. Not for notebooks, but supposedly that’s coming down the pike.

—ravi