[lbo-talk] Jobs

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 19:16:58 PDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 22:58, // ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:
> Huh? I am not a chip guy, but I have been told by those who know that the Atom is Intel’s late attempt to catch up with ARM, et al

Atom is part of Intel´s efforts to make low-power x86 laptops. Atom is what made lightweight netbooks possible in the first place.

And here why Apple disabled OS support for it, preventing OS X from running on non-Apple hardware:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15069/apple_kills_support_for_intel_atom_netbooks_with_10_6_2_update

--- "This effectively means that going forward, people with Netbooks running on Intel Atom (95% of them) won't be able to upgrade beyond 10.6.1...at least without modifying or downgrading the kernal, which could have other consequences.

Apple's reason for doing this is fairly obvious. They want to prevent prospective MacBook or Mac Mini customers from buying a $300 netbook rather than an Apple product which costs at least two or three times as much". ---

Innovation, indeed, to prevent competition.

Back to topic, thin laptops...

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/13/intels-ivy-bridge-cpu-to-allow-for-smaller-quad-core-macbook-pros/

--- AnandTech reports that Intel has announced that its next-generation processor code-named Ivy Bridge will offer lower-power quad-core chips than the current generation of Sandy Bridge chips. In particular, Intel has revealed that it will introduce a 35-watt quad-core Core i7 processor. Next year Ivy Bridge will expand the range to include a 35W quad-core Core i7 SKU. Shaving off 10W off the TDP should enable somewhat smaller notebooks to enjoy the benefits of a quad-core CPU.

As AnandTech notes, this development means that Apple could offer quad-core processors in its smallest 13" MacBook Pros.

The current 13" MacBook Pro design is limited to processors with a 35W thermal design power (TDP). The larger 15" and 17" MacBook Pro models are capable of handling higher-power processors with TDPs up to 45W. As a result, the 15" and 17" MacBook Pros are the only models that presently offer quad-core processors.

This news of lower power targets for Intel's mobile processors should come as no surprise, as Intel has admitted that it has been slow to respond to the low-power trends and has redoubled its efforts to lower the power requirements of its future CPUs. Apple may even have helped prompt the shift by threatening Intel with the potential loss of Apple's business. ---

So who is doing the innovation with regards to low power cpus and lighter designs? Intel or Apple?

It is fairly obvious.

Apple is just a repackager of Intel chips in fancy cases.

FC