[lbo-talk] Jobs

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 19:38:27 PDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 23:24, // ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:

> Listen, let’s not get into a pissing match about Internet history, CPUs and technical shit

Of course, you are free to believe anything you want. To put an aura (or patina) of "magic" into what someone has done, even if it was just having success at creating a brand, religion, or mix of the two.

However, when it comes to facts, the "technical shit" that you disdain, is what matters.

The iPhone was revolutionary in having a 100% touch-based interface. The NeXT cube was innovative design. Display Postscript was a great idea (although not Jobs´ invention).

However, it seems by watching obituaries these days as if Apple and jobs have invented portable MP3 players (what about the Diamond Rio and the rest that followed like Creative´s Nomad, is my Sandisk Sansa m250 less innovative than Apple´s?), and that Apple invented the smartphone concept, too. How funny, I think it was Palm´s transition of the PDA to the Treo smartphone who popularized the "innovation".

FC