[lbo-talk] OWS Teach-In: Where to start?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Oct 7 09:25:02 PDT 2011

On Oct 7, 2011, at 12:16 PM, c b wrote:

> John Leslie Feier I was in a conversation with one of the people in
> the Livestream chat room for Portland last night. I said that we
> needed to end corporate personhood and this gentleman said, "If we end
> the Fed, that will take care of corporate personhood." I said, "How?"
> No response. There was no response to that because it doesn't make
> sense.

Yikes, this corporate personhood thing is ludicrous too. I may scream.

When I talk to the OWS kids, I'm going to try to do some version of Marx's argument about how the joint-stock company represents the partial undoing of capitalism within capitalism. (I.e., shareholders serve no useful function - so if they can hire managers to run "their" companies, why can't workers?) But we need some institution like the corporation to organize production - what do they think would replace it? Small proprietorships?

Doug