[lbo-talk] OWS teach-in: where to start

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sat Oct 8 06:54:10 PDT 2011

i second max.

this is why, while I know it will never happen, part of me just wants Doug to hang out with 20 people from OWS and just talk to them for awhile. Not talk at them, but with them. Get in their heads, find out what they're thinking, etc. *then* craft a teach in. that's a tactic I used to use when teaching, but I had 1. time and 2. pretty accurate foreknowledge of what they were going to say so that I wasn't going to be caught off guard.

There's also a lot to be said for a more socratic method of engagement, where you get *them* to come with the answers. Not pin them into a corner and piss them off, showing them up to be weak thinkers, but to pull out of them what, as carrol often says, they already know.

e.g., if you read their blogs, for instance, they already know the drawbacks of their approach to consensus building, they already know that they depend on capitalist production, etc. they have just determined that they are going to pick an approach and move forward. This isn't true of everyone, it's just clear about the bloggers I'm reading. But the goal for our Wall St Socrates is, as Marx said, get them to the point where they can put words to what they haven't been able to put words to before.

shag