[lbo-talk] So Real it Hurts - Notes on Occupy Wall Street

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Oct 9 15:47:12 PDT 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "SA" <s11131978 at gmail.com>

On 10/9/2011 3:08 PM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

> I don't think so. Both Ralph Ellison and Richard Wright had problems with the CP's "we are all one race" tack. They lived long before Tim Wise.

It's not about the substantive argument, which is totally defensible. It's the way the issue is turned into this endless psychodrama. Imagine if the writer had been arguing over some different but equally important political point - say, reform vs. revo, engage the state vs. smash the state, or whatever. (Keep in mind that the language she was objecting to also claimed we are no longer divided by class either.) Her account would have been totally different in tone. Instead, the story becomes a personal drama of tragedy and triumph - "hit me in the stomach," "made me feel alienated," "so real it hurts," etc. I mean, it was an argument over the way to phrase a political text, an argument she won.

Talking about emotions is not necessarily psycho-drama. Though women are completely familiar with the "you're just being hysterical" reaction when they talk about strong emotions.

And why "endless" psychodrama?

I do think though that any member of a minority would feel great conflict about "betraying" the larger cause by bringing up issues related to racism, sexism, etc. So, I believe her.

The story had a happy ending. She was part of the consensus building process, and her voice was heard.

Joanna